The Holy Galil... sort of

Home builds, custom work, and repairs.
Tortuga
Site Admin

The Holy Galil... sort of

Post by Tortuga » Mon May 01, 2017 3:02 am

In today's world the name IWI sparks the imagination of a super cool space bull pup, but before the tavor there was the original guardian of the ghaza-the galil. The Galil was the brain child of Yisrael Galil and Yaacov Lior in the late 60's. It borrowed heavily from the Finnish RK-62 and even some early models used RK or unmarked RK receivers.
In the golden days of gun imports a Galil could be had for 600-700 dollars but seeing that a MAK90 was only 200 these rifles neve gained a big popularity in the US. And with the Clinton era ban they disappeared to the deadest corners of collectors safes. Fast forward 15 years and I began my eager entry into the gun world the AK rifle quickly pulled ahead as one of my favorite designs-being a simple yet rugged combat rifle- surrounded by myth and lore that you couldn't hit a barn at 10 yds and that the guns would never jam. I quickly learned out of these rifles the 2 that stood out was actually the bastard child's of the AK family-the Valmet and the Galil. I decided that I had to add one to my collection. With research I soon learned that a Valmet was not an option with a quick look on gunbroker and you will find that these guns go upwards of 3-4,000 dollars without magazines and that's another 400 add-on. So I turned to the Galil. These were a little easier to obtain with century arms making a copy but like anything else CAI does these was very hit and miss, so with the Galil eluding me for many years I finally decided I'm going to try my hand at building one....sort of

The first thing to learn with the Galil is that they borrow heavily form an AK but not quite. The first thing you will need to do is to strip the AK completely-gas block, front sight, and rear sight tower all needs to be removed.
IMG_2991.JPG
IMG_2991.JPG (131.4 KiB) Viewed 1514 times
The next step will be acquiring the Galil parts. I used a ARM gas tube and venom tactical gas block (I didn't use the original gas block because the parts I had is in 5.45 and the Galil was never built for that caliber and I had the gas block handy). You will need to fit the gas tube to the AK trunion. To do this you will need to file two grooves in the top of the trunion ears.
IMG_2992.JPG
IMG_2992.JPG (98.39 KiB) Viewed 1514 times
IMG_2993.JPG
IMG_2993.JPG (53.71 KiB) Viewed 1514 times
You will also have to trim down the sides of the gas tube and the holding tabs to get them to fit inside the trunion ears.
IMG_2995.JPG
IMG_2995.JPG (94.91 KiB) Viewed 1511 times
Make sure when fitting the gas tube that it goes up even with the top of the trunion ears and fits into the front gas block
IMG_2994.JPG
IMG_2994.JPG (147.79 KiB) Viewed 1514 times
And with that you should be done fitting the gas tube. Be sure to replace the handguards retainer on the barrel before installing your gas block.

Next up will be modifying the gas piston to work with the new gas system.....