Different Grain Round for Training

Taken a class, about to take a class, or promoting a class, post it here.
OUTKAST 6

Different Grain Round for Training

Post by OUTKAST 6 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:31 am

In a perfect world you could find the exact weight for your training & defense rounds at a good deal!

For example: You use 62 grain 5.56 rounds for shit hit the fan purposes & obviously it would be best to train with the same weight in training rounds but you found a great deal on 55 grain rounds.

Question: Have any of you all used lighter rounds (55 grain) rounds for training purposes. I ask this because I like saving money & I'm a cheap ass! I would imagine for close, CQB, type training the difference in weight wouldn't make much difference... same would go with transition drills, reload drills, etc... However, in medium to long range training I would obviously stick with the same weight.

Bmitz319

Re: Different Grain Round for Training

Post by Bmitz319 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:12 pm

I generally run either 55 gr or 62 gr. I've found that for practical purposes my zero doesn't shift all that much on my rifles. Obviously that can vary depending on individual systems but I don't usually see much shift or issues from switching to what I find a better deal on. I do however generally run 55 gr in my ARs if I have a choice. Handguns however, I've found there is a big difference say between a 115 gr fmj load for range use and defensive handgun ammunition. It is important to know the characteristics of you chosen defensive loads. I use Sig V-Crown 115 gr JHP and use Federal 124 HST typically and both handle differently than my normal 115 gr range ammo. Hope this helps!

-Brent

Gizmo
Site Admin

Post by Gizmo » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:01 pm

I use 55 grain with all my AR rifles and I don't notice a difference switching grains at what I consider AR distances (400 yards and under). Not starting a "my AR can shoot 1000 yards" argument I know you can... I believe whoever you are. I have never tried out the difference at longer distances because if I'm out plinking at 500+ yards I am shooting a larger caliber. One thing that does make a huge difference is the twist rate and length of your barrel. The 1:9 twist rate is what my twist rate is on every AR barrel I have. This is not because I think it is the best twist rate or the most accurate. It is just kind of the middle of the road twist rate that seems to handle up to a 69 grain bullet and groups well with both 55 grain and 62 grain. Most people go with the 1:7 twist because its what the military widely use but they actually started with a 1:12 twist rate on the M16 because they tested it with 55 grain ammo. They switched to the 1:7 twist with the penetrator M855 (62 grain) and Tracer M856 (63.7 grain) because of the longer bullet they needed to better stabilize it. I guess Donnie, to answer the question you are asking, train with 55 grain and you can keep the 62 grain in your arsenal if you find it cheaper because you are not talking about sighting in a bench rifle with 55 grain then going to a competition with 62 grain; you are asking if you can train and plink with 55 grain and then hit a man sized target out to 300-400 yards with a 62 grain. You will be fine doing that.

Tortuga
Site Admin

Post by Tortuga » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:03 pm

+1 /\ /\ /\ /\ /\